Yes, folks, that's what it felt like. Usually I'm so good about getting photos. No photos of our move. None. Because it was nuts. I had never had such a monstrous move - and we were only moving a few miles away. Perhaps "local" moves can be a nightmare for this reason. You have this allusion that "Oh, I'll just take that over in the car." 20 loads in the car later and you pretty much feel like shooting yourself in the foot.
We found out that a move was likely on the very day I came home from the hospital from my broken wrist debacle. Literally got the email as we were setting my things down. Ugh. Our landlord was planning to sell. We had gone through this before - 2 years before. But that time, the house was only on the market a few weeks. It was a good time for a sale now though. And our landlord had been great for all the years we had been there. She and her family live in CA. Maintaining a property from such a distance can get old. I totally get it. All the same, the timing was enough to make me sigh. Keeping a home tidy with 3 kids (for showings), a broken wrist, pregnant, a traveling husband in school and then...if/when it does sell, where do we go anyway?
That was February. We didn't know when the house would go on the market exactly, but we knew some unknowns and challenges would lay ahead. In the end, we decided it was best to look for something bigger. Our Harvard Terrace days were wrapping up, sadly. We had intended to stay put until Mike graduated from his MBA program, but how does the saying go? Man plans, God laughs.
So, it's June. The night before our move I am literally throwing things in boxes willy-nilly. I'm way pregnant and Mike is on a red eye returning from a work trip. The next morning, the movers arrive, and it is no better. We had friends there to help, but to be honest, we were pretty much basket cases. And then we weren't even able to fit everything in the truck --- so the move ended up taking 2 days instead of 1.
This was not a good time for OCD me.
Somehow though, we get everything moved. Isn't moving awful? I hadn't moved in so long that I felt pretty overwhelmed with the amount of STUFF we had. And the kids have all their stuff now too. Wow. Too much stuff.
Box by box. You just keep at it one box at a time. Eventually you get everything unpacked, but it's really no fun.
We do love our new place though. It has needed, how do we say, a little TLC, but we got a great deal and we're making some really nice friends here too. Looking forward to this next chapter and taking it a day at a time as we settle in.

No comments:
Post a Comment